- 2 tbsps. Coconut Oil
- 8 ozs Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless)
- 5 stalks Green Onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (sliced)
- 4 Garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsps Ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 Carrot (peeled and shredded)
- 1 - Jalapeno Pepper (seeded and minced)
- 1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms (sliced; can substitute button mushrooms))
- 4 cups Organic Chicken Broth or Bone Broth
- 1 cup Full Fat Coconut Milk (14 oz.)
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce (Red Boat brand)
- 1/2 Lime (zested)
- 2 tbsps Thai Basil (minced)
- 1 Lime (cut into wedges for serving)
1. In a large saucepan, heat the cooking fat over a medium heat.
2. Cook the scallions, garlic, and ginger, stirring frequently, until softened (about 5 minutes).
3. Add the carrot, red bell pepper, jalapeño, and mushroom, and cook until softened (about 3-4 minutes).
4. Add the chicken, chicken stock, coconut milk, and fish sauce.
5. Bring the soup to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through (15 to 20 minutes).
6. Remove the chicken from the soup. Shred it into chunks and return to the pot.
7. Stir in the lime zest, the fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste, and remove from the heat.
8. Garnish each bowl with a lime wedge to serve.
THAI COCONUT SOUP
As the weather begins to cool down, a spicy Thai style coconut soup is one of our absolute favorites for the fall and winter (or anytime to be honest ;-) ). It has delicately sweet, salty, and spicy flavors, is incredibly versatile and best of all, easy to make.